Wednesday, July 9, 2014

Shadows Beneath Book Review

Shadows Beneath: The Writing Excuses Anthology

Brandon Sanderson, Mary Robinette Kowal, Dan Wells, and Howard Tayler

Dragonsteel Entertainment

6/28/14

5/5 Stars

 

        Yes, I’m reviewing another Anthology; when less than a month ago I said it would be a VERY LONG TIME before I did this again.  Oh well…  This is less of anthology than a writing tool, anyway.  The idea is that you read the stories and then see how the authors came up with them.  A kind of brainstorming to editing kind of thing.  This is definitely the first time I’ve EVER seen anything like this and it is great!  I loved seeing how things went from brainstormed ideas to a rough story to an edited story with the help of discussion and critique.  The stories, of course, are great.  But I think that seeing the process is ACTUALLY the more valuable thing here.  I would suggest this book to anyone who is an aspiring writer who likes science fiction and fantasy.  This is a really great look into the process that is normally glossed over by other writing books.

No comments:

Post a Comment