Wednesday, May 14, 2014

Promise of Blood Book Review

 

Promise of Blood

Brian McClellan

Orbit (April 16, 2013)

5/5 Stars

 

 

    The best thing about Promise of Blood by far is the setting.  The world building in this book is amazing.  I don't think I've ever read a better realized world from a debut author.  I absolutely love the complexity of the magic system.  There are tons of memorable characters and the pace of the book is brisk and exciting.
     Other than the scenes and chapters where Adamat is the point of view character.  I was completely enthralled.  Not that Adamat is necessarily a bad character; it just seemed like these chapters or parts of chapters were unnecessarily slow and tended to be much less interesting than the others.
     This is the most inventive and interesting fantasy world I've come upon in a long time and I think it is a MAJOR step forward for the genre as it shows what can be done.  Fantasy is NOT devoid of the new or doomed to fall into the "grimdark."  This novel proves that.
     Any fan of Fantasy should give this book a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment