Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Seed the Book Review

Seed

Ania Amlborn

47North (July 17, 2012

3/5 Stars

 

        There is a lot to love in Seed.  It is a well crafted story with some interesting characters and the children are especially well done.  The characters are empathetic and I was really hooked.  The problem with Seed is that it has been done before.  A LOT in fact!  Anyone who has read horror fiction or seen a movie in the past 5-10 years has seen something like Seed done.  In fact, I’ve even seen a couple of real life accounts that bare some resemblance to the general plot line.  Not that there aren’t some key differences and I’m certainly not saying that the author just cut and paste another story into her book.  No, not at all…  Rather what I’m saying is that perhaps the author isn’t widely enough read in the horror genre.  Or perhaps, she thought this would be more of a dark fantasy book and it just didn’t quite hit it’s intended audience.

        In any case, I loved Seed right up until I knew exactly what was going to happen next.  Which was around 40% of the way through.  I think Ania Amlborn is an EXCELLENT writer and I cannot wait to see what her next book brings.  But this one is just a little too by the numbers for me.  But it is scary as hell, if you’re not a horror reader you might want to give this one a shot.  It will definitely make you keep the lights on at night.  Which is why I think that Ania Amlborn has a bright career ahead of her.  Because she has half the battle already won.

No comments:

Post a Comment