Saturday, January 4, 2014

Belated Best of 2013 Science Fiction/Fantasy/Horror Books!

         Yes guys, this is really late Best of 2013 list.  Enjoy:

 

10. Happy Hour in Hell

          Definitely one of my favorite books of the year.  It was not only an exciting read, but it went far and away to out due Dirty Streets of Heaven.  Everything about this book riveted me.

 

9. Companions: Sundering Book 1

          The best of the Forgotten Realms Books and certainly the best book that R.A. Salvatore ever written.  The impact that this book has had on the Forgotten Realms and the world of Faerun itself is incredible.  I really loved this book and while some of the other books in the series so far have been really good.  This one is certainly the jewel in the crown of the entire series.

8. Steelheart

       Certainly the best YA Book I’ve ever read.  The world of superheroes in Science Fiction and Fantasy is nothing new but Brandon Sanderson did an excellent job with this trope and certainly made a world and mark of his own that has nothing to do with any of the other trendy works out there.

7. Vicious

       No other author this year really made an impact on what is possible in science fiction and fantasy than this book.  The way the points of view and progression are handled in this book are absolutely incredible.  This is another incredible super hero book.  But not in a DC or Marvel sort of way, but in the way that movies like Chronicle does it or the way the television series Tomorrow People does it.  Many people have said Flatliners meets super heroes which I won’t disagree with.  But it’s still awesome.

6.  All is Fair (Split Worlds)

     This was one of the most awesome of the Split Worlds Books but it certainly doesn’t do too much to outdue itself from the rest of the series.  But it is still absolutely wonderful and anyone who is even a mild fan of the Split World Books should give it a shot and buy it.

5. Ocean at the End of the Lane

            This is one of the best books I’ve ever read.  I would suggest this book to anyone who likes to read Fantasy or Fiction in general.  The book is incredibly well crafted and in a way that you probably won’t expect.  So go out and buy it.

4.  The Rojan Dizon Series

   The entire series is was so good.  I would have appreciated an entire volume not three books.  But all of them came out this year and while #1 could have been a bit better the rest of the series was incredible.  It was an awesome work for a first time author and it should have received a lot more recognition.

3.  Fortune’s Pawn

        This is the most interesting book I’ve read this year.  It was like Rachel Bach pulled al the good elements from Warhammer 40K and Starcraft and drop them into a unique world with a unique sets of races and politics.  I absolutely love this book.  I cannot wait for the next book in the series.

 

2. Necessary Evil (Milkweed Triptych #3)

        I’m not normally an Alternate History fan, but once I read the first book in this series I read all the rest in two days. I had to have them all and I had to know what happened.  It was an incredible series and this vote is more for the series as a whole than this particular book.  But this book was also extremely good in it’s own right.

1. Ancillary Justice

      Ancillary Justice was the best Science Fiction book of the year.  I haven’t read anything this year that could touch it.  The book’s story was incredibly complex and interesting.  The book was so complex and exciting that it was shocking that the book was the first novel from the author.  If I could write my fifth book as well as she is writing her first I would feel my life had meant something.  Go out and buy Ancillary Justice, you will love it.

 

      As much as I love some of the more established writers in the industry.  I cannot ignore how awesome the new authors are that are emerging in our genre.  There were no horror titles in this top ten and for me there were only two descent horror books out this year; NOS4A2 and Doctor Sleep.  If those are your thing, check those out.  Otherwise, there are certainly tons of awesome books out there and I would love to hear about any other books you loved this last year!  Hit the comments for that or hit me up on twitter, @timothypecoraro

No comments:

Post a Comment